Cranfield University hosted a visit from our English and American colleagues coming from Los Alamos National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Sandia National Laboratory, Savannah River National Laboratory, Sandia River Site, Nuclear Safety Committee and Atomic Weapon Establishment to discuss the use and benefits of Wire+Arc Additive Manufacturing.
Presentations were given by Prof. Stewart Williams, Dr Wojciech Suder, Dr Filomeno Martina, Dr Jialuo Ding, Dr Supriyo Ganguly, Dr Goncalo Pardal and Gianrocco Marinelli on
- WAAM technology and business review
- WAAM part development
- WAAM of refractory metals
- Material properties of WAAM parts
- Novel approach to laser welding
- Laser welding with pulsed fibre lasers
- Welding of dissimilar metals
- Laser hybrid welding – benefits and challenges
A tour of Cranfield's laboratory followed. The deposition of tungsten was demonstrated, as well as the operation of the HiVE machine with its unique multi-dimensional rolling.